Tuesday, March 31, 2009

ANOTHER LOSS OF LIFE

I am sad to report that someone I know has died from lung cancer. This happened yesterday. He was 67. He was probably 1 of 100's who died this week from lung cancer caused by cigarette smoking.

The government has raised the taxes on a pack of cigarettes by 62 cents. The state of Florida will be adding to that amount I am told. Smokers are outraged. They think they are being forced to pay higher prices to help the economy. Actually, the taxes were raised in order to finance the expansion of health insurance for children. Ironically, this health insurance initiative was signed by President Barack Obama, himself rumored to be a smoker unable to kick the habit. However, he can afford his cigarettes. There were some nasty comments posted on the internet about the increase. One person said they will smoke no matter what. Another person said it's unfair that smokers have to be punished. My heart goes out to them. I used to smoke, so I can truly sympathize. But, I also know what it's like to be free from nicotine addiction. It's scary when you smoke and someone says the price is going up. There are people buying cigarettes in bulk before the big tax increase. Hello, Mr. Camilleri, are you listening. Your bonus is about to get bigger because I am sure your company will follow suit and up the costs even more, and there are people willing to pay the price. Shame on you.

May the families of those who have died of any smoking related illness be comforted in knowing that there are people out there fighting for justice. May you find peace. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Until next time, let's keep fighting and save lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment